Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Edinburgh

Hello!! On the 18th my friend Katie and I took a flight over to Edinburgh, Scotland. We thought it would be a cool trip and we found really cheap plane tickets. Once we got there we realized what a pretty city it actually is, and it is fairly cheap as well. Our first day we wandered around the city and happened upon the National Gallery which is an art museum. It was free so Katie and I wandered around that. We then got some lunch and took a free walking tour of the city. We learned a lot about the city, but it rained on us a lot. At one point we were near the castle and it was absolutely pouring sideways. Luckily Katie and I had both brought umbrellas so those really came in handy. We learned about this dog named Bobby that was a police man's dog. When the man died the dog sat by his grave everyday for 14 years until he died. That is one loyal dog. We also got to see the cafe that J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. The next day Katie and I got up early and we went to the Museum of Scotland, which is also free. That was a really cool museum because it wasn't just stuff to look at, you could actually interact with a lot of the stuff. We also went to Edinburgh Castle, which is enormous and sits on top of a mountain. I thought that was incredibly smart on the Scottish part, that is the best way to defend the castle. We also went somewhere called The Scotch Whisky Experience where we learned how whisky is made and we got to taste test some. I found out that I really do not like whisky. It burns way too much. We did get to walk away with a cool whisky glass though. While in Edinburgh my dad told me that I should try Haggis. Do you know what haggis is? It is the parts of the lamb that you don't normally want to eat like the liver chopped up and cooking inside the stomach of the sheep. Needless to say I didn't try haggis. Lastly we walked up this hill called Calton Hill and saw beautiful views of the city. We also got lost, well kinda lost, trying to make our way back to our hostel to get our bags, but we found it ok. I would reccommend Edinburgh to anyone looking for a city to spend a couple days in.

No comments:

Post a Comment